Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Randomness

Some random Nicholas updates, in stream of consciousness, basically because that is what I am mentally equipped for right now.

Nicholas has apparently started saying "all done" at school. He hasn't said it at home yet, though, even tonight when we prompted him. But his teachers were insistent that he has done it very clearly and deliberately multiple times.

He also sort of says "hat." It is more like "ha" but he does it while touching his hat, so I'm guessing that even though it sounds like a random syllable it actually has meaning. Given his new fascination with his hat, I'm beginning to wonder if the seemingly randomly happily touching his head recently has been linked to the hat somehow, either with it on or wanting it on. He has become so attached to this hat that I wonder what he is going to do when we replace this one, which we need to do soon because it is incredibly snug. He has been wearing this one 90% of the time he has gone outside for the past 10 months or so--winter to protect from cold and summer to protect from sun.

Nicholas is starting to pick up on games really quickly. Allison tonight balanced one of his plastic blocks on his head, which of course fell off, making him laugh. The second and third time he cracked up into giggles. Then he started trying to do it himself. He couldn't make them balance and so eventually gave up, but he tried quite a few times. I, for one, was impressed with how quickly he tried to mimic.

He was also trying out crying and the effects of crying tonight at dinner. I think he legitimately hurt himself, which started it, but then it was for effect. He was eating and randomly burst into hurt and surprised tears. The bottom tooth is really fighting through the gums right now, so sometimes he does this when he accidentally gets food there. But he then started doing what seemed to be more deliberate tears. He was also really tired, which I'm sure was part of it, but he was definitely checking our reactions.

He began putting his graham cracker up to the top of his head (meaning getting food in his hair), I would take it away, and he would cry. We did this a couple times before he finished the cracker peacefully. Finally at least this was a dinnertime misbehavior where there were actually consequences that mattered to him. We have been struggling with him throwing food he doesn't want and how to discipline. Saying (and even yelling) "no" has no effect (or makes him laugh), taking away the food doesn't really do much since his whole goal is to get the food off his tray in the first place. We have tried creating a place (his cupholder on his tray) where he can put food he doesn't want to get it off the main part of his tray without throwing it, which he has picked up on some but only follows about 50% of the time. But I am getting really frustrated. But taking away a graham cracker? Now that is a consequence because those are his absolute favorite food. It was just chance, though, that this time he was misbehaving with a graham cracker. If only he was old enough to understand "If you throw food you don't get a graham cracker." Then we'd have something.

Last night in the bath he hit his head on the side of the tub, but my battles to get an ice pack on it must have paid off because there is no bump or bruise to speak of. I hadn't planned to give him a bath but had to because he was rubbing spaghetti sauce in his hair at dinner, then in the bath he kept standing or kneeling and one of the times tipped forward before I could get him back down. It wasn't from far and wasn't hard, but a red bump began appearing almost immediately, so out he came and out came the boo-boo buddy. Even an ice pack that looks like Cookie Monster wasn't enough to get him to willingly let me hold it on, but when I sat down with all his favorite books, he was distracted enough to let me hold it on for 10-20 second increments over 5 or 10 minutes. I was worried it wouldn't be enough, but apparently it did the trick.

We went to Alice's first birthday party last weekend. We had a lot of fun, but since for all purposes the two of them are the same age, this has made me start grappling with the fact that Nicholas is turning 1. And, I won't lie, it is really hard for me. Those first couple months were pretty torturous and I love the little boy he is becoming, but part of me is really sad to lose the baby Nicholas. And so I am trying to soothe the ache by buying things and starting projects. Tonight I bought some cute Elmo birthday decorations. No, he doesn't need decorations, especially since we're doing a small birthday gathering rather than a full-blown party, but the kid does love Elmo. And I have a couple photo projects in mind. I really do still have tons of work to do, but without the deadlines of pre-defense insanity, am discovering a new love of avoidance. And what better way to avoid work than looking back at his baby pictures?

On another random note, Nicholas and I saw the biggest dog I have ever seen in my life on Sunday, and Nicholas didn't believe me that it was a doggie. He loves dogs right now and knows what that word connects to, both in pictures and in real life. So when we saw a woman with a Golden Retriever while at the park where we go hiking, I let him stop and watch. The owner didn't mind and seemed to love how Nicholas would break out into a huge grin each time the dog turned towards him. I told her that he loves looking at dogs right now, so she called over to her friend, who called up to this little porch, where a massive animal uncurled itself and lumbered down the steps. It was a Mastiff (however that is spelled) and weighed over 200 pounds! She brought it over and I told Nicholas it was a big doggie, at which point he gave me a look that clearly said, "Mommy, that is not a doggie. I know that word, and that is not it." He was intrigued by it, but not happy and excited like with other dogs. After about 5 minutes of watching from my arms, he squirmed down and took a few steps towards it, but each time the dog turned its head back towards him, he shrunk back a little. I still don't think he believed me that it was a dog, but as a generic large animal, he got more comfortable with it.

On another note, our "hike" on Sunday was all of about 1/4 mile because Nicholas insisted on walking for most of it. Oh well, at least I was outside and around trees.

Okay, each of those probably could have been a separate post, but such is life. Nicholas and I are home tomorrow and have a full day scheduled. My plan is aquarium in the morning since it is supposed to rain, then much needed errands to the post office and grocery store in the afternoon. And maybe some laundry and/or cleaning thrown in there for good measure. I should work during naptimes but since the work on my schedule for the week is about as fun as a root canal I have the feeling I will be napping or blogging instead. See, this works out well for you. :)

1 comment:

  1. Throwing food is a milestone - and a learning activity too. Seriously. It's not fun, but it is not the end of the world. :o)

    Abby is turning three in a few weeks. I can't completely wrap my head around it, but she keeps getting more awesome as she gets older, so I'm looking forward to it like it's a major holiday!

    ReplyDelete