Saturday, May 22, 2010

Nicholas' Birthday -- Part 1

From 2010 May
As I mentioned earlier, today we celebrated Nicholas' birthday a little early. We decided not to do a full party, but had a fun afternoon with both his sets of grandparents and one uncle. It was the perfect size for him--enough people to be exciting but not so many as to be overwhelming.

He has Elmo-themed decorations, including balloons and some pictures of Elmo that hang from the dining room chandelier. But, the centerpiece of the Elmo festivities was this cake:
From 2010 May
Okay, so it was not particularly labor intensive (I opted out of using the Elmo cake mold I found to make an actual Elmo cake, and settled for pre-made Elmo candies), but given the time I had to spend on it, I was happy.

I'm not quite sure why Nicholas looks terrified in this picture,
From 2010 May
but he thought cake was yummy.
From 2010 May
And while his hands were pretty messy with the frosting, he didn't make nearly as much of a mess with it as I had expected.
From 2010 May
Nicholas got some fun new toys, including a car he can push/ride,
From 2010 May
some blocks that make awesome noises when he shakes them,
From 2010 May
and a doll my mom made, complete with curly red hair.
From 2010 May
This doll gives me flashbacks to the doll I had when I was little ("Dolly") because my mom must have made the hair the same way. I think Dolly's hair was blond, but the curls were the same.

The really exciting thing about the day for me was how comfortable Nicholas has gotten with everyone. He was very excited to see each of his grandparents and his Uncle Patrick, and by the end of the day was excitedly walking to Patrick and asking to be held by him. This is huge for Nicholas.

And so, as a final thought, here is Nicholas and his Uncle Patrick in their matching hats:
From 2010 May
And, as always, more pictures are in the May folder in the Gallery.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Abby hardly nibbled at her birthday cake on her first birthday. By her second, though, it was hard to keep her away from it!

    Happy early birthday, little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicholas is related to Sarah. He likes him some cake.

    ReplyDelete