Monday, July 13, 2009

Sleepy Mommy

Nicholas doesn't really sleep any more at night now than he did at a week old and apparently my body has decided that it has had enough and is taking matters into its own hands, falling asleep while I'm nursing at night. (And, yes, that is intentionally written in the third person because I'm not making any conscious decision.)

The up side to this is that I get a little more sleep. In fact, it really is the only feasible way to piece together anything resembling a reasonable amount. However, it means I can't monitor Nicholas' eating. Don't worry, he is perfectly safe and between my arm and pillow is in no danger of falling. But one of two things happen. Either he comes off at some point and falls asleep and by the time I wake up is so deeply asleep that I can't wake him enough to eat on the other side (in which case I put him in bed and he is up in half an hour hungry), or (as happened last night) he just keeps going for the entire time (1 1/2 hours!!!) until I wake up.

In addition to the ouch factor of the second scenario, these both have the effect of getting him in the habit of snacking all night, precisely the opposite of what I want. If this keeps happening Joe might have to forgo the couple extra hours of sleep he's been getting a night to get up with us and keep me awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment