Saturday, January 22, 2011

Science Museum In Pictures

Nicholas and I met up with my mom at the Science Museum this morning. Nicholas had a good time overall, although he seemed overwhelmed by the number of kids in small spaces, a lot of the stuff was way beyond him (and unlike at Air and Space, not stuff he could enjoy without a real understanding), and he was predisposed to melting down given that he had a rough morning (fingers smashed in door--not pretty). Anyway, given all that, he did a good job and had fun. If it was possible to just go to the little kids' section and not have tons of other kids, we'd go back.

Anyway, on to pictures.

Nicholas went over to the statues of penguins on his own, but I didn't get the camera out in time. So I asked him to go back over and say hi to the penguins. He took me literally, walking over saying "hi, penguins" very loudly. And then he pet them.
From 2011 January

The baby/toddler room was his favorite by far. It really was like a playground with some twists. So not science as we usually think of it, but challenging the way the kids are used to understanding and dealing with their world. For example, there was a section with what they called a waterbed. Here Nicholas is having trouble standing up. I don't think he was having trouble actually so much as he was concerned. The ground wasn't stable--what was going on?!
From 2011 January

He later went to just crawling through this section. Over and over and over again.

They also had some places where you could construct ramps for balls. These worked out well--Grandma did the engineering and Nicholas dropped the balls through. They had some pretty complex ones going--ones where the ball hit a cowbell and made it ring and other such fun.
From 2011 January

And after a tiring morning, Nicholas needed some downtime this afternoon. And since I realized this morning when I couldn't find anything I was looking for that our apartment had gotten completely out of control, I caved to his requests to "watch Elmo please Elmo watch Elmo" while I cleaned. And so here is the little boy as the picture of contentment. Really, what more could a toddler want?
From 2011 January

1 comment: