Tuesday, July 26, 2011

School Update

Apparently Nicholas' wonderful first few days of school lured us into a false hope for an easy transition. He has been having a really rough time for the past week or so. The drop-offs are awful, with him crying and clinging to me and begging me not to leave him. And when I get there to pick him up he is usually either in a teacher's arms or sitting by himself in a corner looking for me. It breaks my heart.

The reports from his teacher are that the bulk of the day he is mostly okay, although some days pretty clingy and "sensitive." She thinks the gym is the real problem because he gets really upset when it is time to go there. It is pretty loud and crazy in there, with a bunch of big kids and 20+ foot ceilings that make for lots of echos. But I think there might also be something more. Thinking back, the first time I picked him up to find him really upset, his teacher said Nicholas had tried to get into one of the cars and another kid yelled at him. At the time it seemed like a random isolated event, but I wonder if it upset him more than I realized.

Today I waited to drop him off until 9 so he didn't have to go to the gym in the morning and while it was a little better, he was still pretty upset. I'll do the same tomorrow and see what happens. I feel bad for the little boy. And guilty. He is still excited about going to school (at least until we walk into the door), which is a good sign, but he is not nearly as comfortable there as he was at his old school.

1 comment:

  1. Well that is a bummer. Hope it all comes together again soon!

    ReplyDelete