Thursday, November 4, 2010

Saving Daylight, Assuaging Guilt

One of the sadder consequences of our schedule this year has been that Nicholas spends far more time at daycare than I think either Sarah or I really would like, but given the reality of our job situation, that's the way it's going to be until May.  We drop him off most days at 7:30 or a little after (and on my DC day I drop him off at 7:25 and run for a train), and don't pick him up until 5 or later.

I've been doing many of the morning runs, and so I've noticed quite acutely just how early we've been dropping him off the past few weeks as sunrise has gotten later—at this point it's after 7:30.  Which means that when we leave the house, it's still pretty dark, especially on a day like today was, with an overcast sky and rain.  And because of the cycle of the moon, last week it was clear and high in the sky at 7:15-7:30, which only underscored that it felt like I was dropping him off in the middle of the night.

In other words, from my perspective the end of daylight savings cannot come too soon, as it will grant a bit of respite from feeling like we're leaving him at daycare quite so long.  Even if it won't actually change the actual amount of time he spends there, it'll at least make me feel better ... until December, when it'll be depressingly dark again.

No comments:

Post a Comment