Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween: The Little Chef

From 2010 October

At the last minute I decided to change Nicholas' Halloween costume. We were at my parents' house celebrating my Mom's birthday and I was commenting on how I felt like such a failure as a mom because Nicholas was just going to wear pjs he already owned . . . again. Not that wearing pjs was bad in and of itself, but that I hadn't put any thought or time into a costume. And I mentioned some of the costumes my mom made us when we were little.

And Mom went looking for the adorable package costume I wore at Nicholas' age (I was about 2 weeks younger than he is now that Halloween). Here is a picture of that:

From 2010 October

She couldn't find it but in the process found an apron she had made for us when we were little and kept it out for Nicholas since he loves helping in the kitchen so much these days. And there you have the inspiration for Nicholas' costume.

I made the chef's hat in probably about half an hour using scraps of fabric Mom had and her sewing machine and safety pinning it to his baseball cap since that both fits and is something he is comfortable with. (Hence, the baseball cap visible in these pictures--I didn't get it lined up quite right in the rush job.)

Nicholas was intrigued by trick or treating. Not giddy or excited or anything, but interested and more than happy to take candy and put it in his bag.

From 2010 October

And since we were already down South we went to visit family friends to say hello. Honestly, Nicholas' favorite part was the doggies. After we spent some time at one friend's house (who has a large black lab) Nicholas just wanted doggies the rest of the night. People offered him candy and he just looked past them and asked for doggies.

Lots of fun all around! And Nicholas didn't seem to mind his costume, since he left it on the entire night (after an initial complaint about putting it on). And I managed to assuage my mommy guilt.

Happy Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment