Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Antibiotics . . . and more antibiotics

The pinkeye is back, along with an ear infection. Apparently this is not an uncommon combination, or at least that is what I gathered from the bits and pieces of what the doctor was saying that I could hear through Nicholas' piercing screams and my own tears.

In most senses I really like our pediatrician, but he is ultra-efficient and less than gentle and so his exam led Nicholas (who was already on the verge of collapse from exhaustion and sickness) to scream in pain and indignation. He was in so much pain and I felt so guilty about not being able to protect him when he expected me to that I couldn't keep from crying myself. Yeah, we were a mess.

At any rate, Nicholas is now back on the antibiotic eyedrops, as well as super-duper-ultra high power oral antibiotics (apparently whatever the strain is that causes this specific ear infection isn't always responsive to regular antibiotics). Between his first dose of that and the baby tylenol that I let him literally suck out of the container (we had less than a full dose left, I couldn't get any out with the dropper, and the poor child had a bad fever), he seems to be feeling a little better. We'll keep him home tomorrow, but hopefully by Friday he can rejoin the world and we can start to get caught up on all our missed work days.

For many many many reasons I hope he feels better soon. And I am so grateful for antibiotics.

No comments:

Post a Comment