Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Our Caring Child

The whole point of the blog is to brag about our son (right?), so I left the subject above as is even though it seems rather overdone.

Anyway, there's an anecdote (two, actually) that I wanted to share about how sweet, caring, and clean little Nicholas is.  He's not feeling well tonight and has thrown up several times.  Which is to say that I feel bad enough for him that I can neither sugarcoat nor euphemize.  I will add that he doesn't have a fever, and each time seemed to feel better immediately afterward, so we're hoping it's either just a little stomach bug or the catch-all "something he ate."

Each time, the event has been very upsetting to him--it's the first time he's had a stomach bug like this, so I'm sure he's surprised at what his body is doing, and it just plain feels unpleasant.  The interesting part is that what's upset him enough to speak isn't how he feels, but that he "made a mess." (His words.)  He seems, in fact, more concerned that we'll be mad at him for "making a mess" than he is that his body is exploding from the inside out.  I'm making light of it, but hearing him say it was both endearing and heartwrenching, in no small part because we can't move fast enough for him.

Anyway, enough grossness (mostly).  The other anecdote is from last Friday, when I was with him all day, and he demonstrated his concern for his fellow man.  I offered to share an apple with him, and went to slice it up.  A little stupidity here, a little slip of the knife there, and next thing you know my finger is bleeding (it's only a flesh wound, I promise).  I grabbed a tissue to stop the bleeding and headed into the bathroom to get some antibiotic ointment and a band-aid.  While I was in the process I held the tissue on as best I could while using my good arm to open things.  All of a sudden I realized Nicholas was pulling toilet paper off the roll and bunching it up.  I started to get mad (he should not be doing that), then got confused, because he had never shown interest in the roll before, and it sits right at his level.  Then I realized that he was pulling it for me, to help put it on my finger.

So, to sum up: this child has a very generous spirit (which he obviously inherited from his mother, 'cuz it don't come from me, that's for sure) and I hope he keeps it and develops it as he grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment