Thursday, March 11, 2010

One Hundred Minutes of Solitude

I strained a muscle in my back earlier this week, and so I've been spending a lot of the week working from home, which saves me from having to sit in an uncomfortable chair, lug a laptop a mile to and from the library, and so on.  Also, college basketball. (Shhhh! Don't tell Sarah!)

Two of those days (Monday and today), Nicholas still went to daycare.  We paid for it, and frankly, trying to deal with a 9-month-old who wants you to help him walk when your back hurts is not very fun, or helpful for Nicholas.  And so, oddly, I have found myself in the position of being alone in the apartment for the entire work day.

It's a strange feeling, because for the last nine months plus, I've almost never been in the house alone.  I had my interview travel last month, but I was alone in a hotel room on a business trip, and that's a little different.  In the house, I'm accustomed to spending my time either watching Nicholas, and so not working, or trying to be very very quiet because he's sleeping.  But I can wander around the apartment and pour myself a glass of water, or microwave some lunch, and not have to worry about waking him up prematurely.

How odd.

And yet nice.  It's a small taste of the freedom that we enjoyed pre-Nicholas, and will likely not enjoy again in any significant way until Nicholas, Cashew, Macadamia, and possibly Brazil Nut have all graduated high school and gone off to college (in other words, where my parents will be this coming August).  I have come to understand a little bit why my parents sometimes just wanted us to go away, or that one was eager to stay home while the other took us to something.

I mean, we've got it easy so far, don't get me wrong.  I'm mostly noting that it's kind of an odd feeling to be in the house without the baby monitor on.

1 comment:

  1. It IS an odd feeling - enjoy it. It's good for all of us to have a little alone time, even for an extrovert like me...

    (Aww, I'm a little disappointed that there won't be a Pistachio - that one could actually fly for a child's name!)

    ReplyDelete