Thursday, January 28, 2010

Daycare

Nicholas starts daycare in the morning and I am much readier than I expected to be. Even though I really like the place and the people and rationally know it is absolutely necessary for us and will likely have benefits for him, I have been wracked with doubts and guilt.

There is no doubt that he will have trouble with the transition. Is it good for him to learn to be away from mommy and daddy, to have to accept not getting what he wants always and immediately, and to learn to sleep through noise? Of course. Will he enjoy it? Not at all. This stubborn, strong-willed, and admittedly somewhat spoiled little boy is going to have a rough time.

But tonight as I put his name on the absurd number of supplies we need to send with him, I found myself actually excited to take him in tomorrow. Now maybe it is just because we have finally hit the point where this is a complete necessity. (Joe has been absolutely swamped with work and will be out of town for the better part of the next 3 weeks, which means I have Nicholas basically full time in addition to teaching this semester, on top of all my normal stuff. Which translates to being too exhausted to even work effectively while Nicholas sleeps.)

But whether it is that I've passed my tipping point or whether our unplanned half hour in the room at the day care earlier this week worked magic on my mommy guilt, I think I'm ready for this. Poor Nicholas, on the other hand, has no idea what is about to happen.

1 comment:

  1. Will be thinking about you all as you make this transition.

    Do you want to try to get together with the Monroes while Joe is out of town? (Not that we don't like Joe, just is sometimes helpful for child-occupying time!)

    ReplyDelete