Thursday, June 4, 2009

My Beef with Nature

Throughout the pregnancy, labor, and delivery, I was constantly amazed by how perfectly engineered our bodies are for this whole process. Yes, there were definitely moments of discomfort, pain, and annoyance, but in general, it was awe-inspiring. However, for some reason I cannot figure out, the postpartum period doesn't seem to have been quite as neatly designed. For the life of me, I don't know how it makes sense to expect our bodies to do all of the extra work of producing food while not being allowed to sleep and trying to recover from birth. Really, whose brilliant idea was this?

And yes, this means we've had another tiring and draining day, and I'm a little cranky.

2 comments:

  1. nature probably wants to make it costly in some sense to have children so you focus on the kids you do have. maybe if it were costless to have children you would want 20 kids, but then your resources would be spread too thin...post partum pain may have been an equilibrium setup so that nature convinces you to have only 2-3 kids that you could appropriately care for...hell, i dont know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did do a double take to make sure Sarah wrote this and not Joe. :o)

    I think the sleepless nights you had late in your pregnancy are designed to help you now. They say that the stress you are having now mimics the way it will be during the teenaged years. I don't believe it, but that is what I have been told by countless people.

    ReplyDelete