Saturday, April 18, 2009

To everything there is a season ...

Sarah and I independently realized last Sunday that Easter was our last major holiday without children. It’s one of the funny things as we circle ever closer to the due date and Peanut’s arrival, to realize just how many things about our lives, big and small, will never be the same. And as the due date creeps ever closer, there are more and more things where one or both of us says, “This is the last time we’ll ever …” It’s not a long list, and it’s certainly not something we lament. In fact, usually we find it exciting—we’re both totally stoked to have a baby and then small child to enjoy the magic of Christmas with, just to give one example. So the feeling just strikes us ever now and again.

Ironically, it reminds me of just before the wedding. That day, while getting ready with the groomsmen, the best man decided to describe everything I was doing, play-by-play style, as the last time I would do something as a bachelor. Wake up, take a shower, eat lunch, drive my car … it was funny at first, hilarious on occasion, but mostly bothersome by the end of the litany of things I was doing as a bachelor for the last time.

The feeling also reminds me how far we’ve come in the pregnancy. When we first found out, we snooped around a variety of parenting and pregnancy websites to read up on things. Many of them come with week-by-week guides to the pregnancy. When we first started reading, we were on the far left, in the single digits, measuring Peanut in size by random small nuts and berries. The third trimester, and the last month, seemed eons away. And now here we are, in week 36, and the early pregnancy is what seems distant to us.

And of course, in just a few weeks, being childless will also be just a memory. And we can’t wait.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you're feeling... on the day of my fifth grade graduation I thought to myself, "This is the last time I will brush my teeth in elementary school"

    I suppose it's not quite on the same scale though...

    ReplyDelete