Thursday, February 18, 2010

Growth Spurt . . . Of Many Sorts

Nicholas went through a growth spurt in the past week, but luckily this one was not accompanied by the trademark Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Aside from the screams when I brought a Kleenex anywhere near him, he was perfectly delightful.

In fact, I had no idea he was growing until I noticed the new height. All of the sudden half of his clothes don't fit! He has been going through 3 outfits each morning. I put a shirt on and then can't get it snapped. So I try a different one and that one snaps but then I pick him up and he looks absurd because it is pulling at the neck. So I put him back down (at which point he is getting annoyed) and try yet another one, which fits but the sleeves don't go all the way to his wrists. The specific sequence varies, but you get the idea.

While I'm not too happy about him growing out of all his clothes this close to the change of seasons (it is almost spring, right? Please!), I am very excited about the height for another reason. I can now stand up straight when he holds my hands to go walking! My back is so grateful.

I don't know whether it is connected or not, but a bunch of skills have also suddenly clicked. The most exciting one for me, is that he is suddenly close to crawling!
From 2010 February
As you can see in the video, he isn't quite there yet, but it is like he finally decided to start working on it. And it wasn't gradual at all. He had never gotten up on his knees before and then suddenly yesterday he was doing this.

As far as other new skills, he now reliably stands holding onto couches, tables, really anything he can grab onto. Pulling things off the end tables is a fun new game.
From 2010 February
He has also gotten braver with walking, and will hold onto something with one hand while reaching around for something to grab with the other hand to facilitate movement. The best comparison I can come up with is to rock climbing, looking for the next hold. He also can do a decent job walking holding onto just one of my hands. He still thinks he needs both hands and often insists on it, but when he really wants something he'll take the risk.

And a completely random new skill he has developed is turning off light switches. And so of course whenever he sees a light switch he desperately wants to get to it. Yeah, that one is going to get old. But I am impressed with the fine motor skills that are involved.

And, surprise surprise, there are some more new pictures in The Gallery.

1 comment:

  1. That's growth indeed! That might have contributed to his "cold" last week, or at least that's something that goes along with Abby's. Look forward to more fun things to come!

    ReplyDelete