Monday, July 23, 2012

Updates: Potty, Swimming, and Sleep

Nicholas had a GREAT day and I am bursting with pride tonight. This whole parenting this really is pretty hilarious--I am more proud of him for wearing underwear all day with no accidents than I have been of myself for anything I've done in a loooong time, and that includes finishing my doctorate. Absurdity.

Anyway, so yes, he made it all day at school with no accidents! I will admit to being shocked when I arrived at daycare and heard the news. Even more exciting was how tightly he was hugging me when I arrived. He knew he had done something really amazing and was SO proud of himself. I could just feel how proud and excited he was, which was wonderful, and it was clear from his tight hug how much he wanted to share that feeling with me. That was better than any thank you. 
So far only pee at school, but since he made it all day at school, through both nights dry, and can do the whole routine at home without any help (his stubbornness in waiting means that he grew enough to navigate by himself with the help of a stepstool!), I am declaring that he has crossed the line and is not allowed to go back to diapers.  Now I just hope he doesn't make me regret it.

I wanted to much to give him some special reward for today because I know how big of a step it was for him and how hard it was for him, and so I volunteered to take him swimming when we got home.  We only stayed for 20 minutes, but we had a good time and I was right that it was a very special and appreciated reward.  And since we were the only people there, I asked the person who checks pool passes to take a video on Nicholas swimming.  All of the forward motion is his own.  I am supporting his weight and keeping his midsection up to the top of the water.  It is hard to see with his hat, but halfway through he even stops to blow bubbles:
From 2012 July

No comments:

Post a Comment