Sunday, July 22, 2012

Big Boy

It has been a loooong day.  Good, but long.  I've spent a lot of time today reminding myself of how many major changes Nicholas has gone through recently, particularly as he fell asleep at naptime curled up on my chest and clung to me with tentacles at bedtime.  But, to be fair, six weeks ago he was sleeping in a crib, sucking his thumb all day long, and refusing to even sit on the potty.  And tonight he went to sleep in his big boy bed, without even thinking about sucking his thumb or moving it anywhere near his mouth even while asleep, after a day where he wore underwear all day with no accidents 9:30-8:30.  (And, yes, he also made it through last night dry.)

So, yes, the underwear experiment is going pretty well.  He had one accident today, which unfortunately was at church but luckily was outside on the steps.  And it was a doozy.  But I had been wondering if he needed to have one really bad one to know what it felt like and so why it was so important to use the potty if he's going to wear underwear.  But, in his words, soaking wet underwear and shorts and pee down his leg was "gross," so hopefully that will be a deterrent.  He made it the rest of the day without another accident.  (Although one was only avoided because I saw what was coming and physically set him on the potty.)

I'm a little worried about how he'll do at school tomorrow, without someone watching closely who knows what every facial expression means.  But I'm going to send him in underwear (and with at least 3 backup pairs--hence, I'm doing laundry tonight) and hope for the best.  Regardless of how school goes, though, I'm very proud of this little boy.  And he is so incredibly proud of himself, which is great to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment