Sunday, July 22, 2012

Busy Weekend

While potty training has been the milestone incident of this weekend and so what I wanted to record for my own records, Nicholas and I actually had a busy weekend even beyond that.  Joe is out of town for a couple weeks, so Nicholas and I have been on our own and kept ourselves busy.

Friday evening we went to a concert on the town green, which they do every Friday in the summer but we'd never gotten around to before.  The music was so-so, but we had a fun time anyway.  It was just great to be outside, surrounded by so many people all just hanging out with their families.
From 2012 July

Yesterday we ran a bunch of errands, played fun games at the library (he enjoyed Guess Who the most), and spent a long time at the pool.  His swimming has made huge leaps forward and he was working at swimming almost the entire time, rather than wanting to just jump in.  He was even asking me to actively teach him things and practice individual skills.  I wish I could have gotten video, but even as much as he has improved, he is not able to be without an adult in the pool with him.  With a vest that provides some bouyancy, he was able to swim a few feet completely on his own, but what was even cooler to me was that if I put just two fingers under his belly to make him keep his bottom up, he could swim the entire short distance across the pool, and with pretty decent form.  So cool!

After church today we went to the playground with one of my colleagues and her son, which was really great for both of us.  Then this evening after dinner I took him out to ride his bike.  The kid has become a speed demon on that thing.  I think next summer it may be time to upgrade to a real bike, with training wheels of course. Just take a look at the video:
From 2012 July
From 2012 July
From 2012 July

It is funny, because this weekend I have wanted to scream a half dozen times and have been so worn down at many points, but we really did have a pretty good time.  And I am just so incredibly proud of him.  He has just been very needy and clingy and without having any backup there were points when I really desperately just needed to have 5 minutes to myself.  Speaking of which, I have about 10 minutes before I need to get laundry and then go to bed, so I should take those 10 minutes to get myself some ice cream and watch something trashy on tv.

No comments:

Post a Comment