Saturday, October 29, 2011

Playing Catch-up

The problem with this blog is that when we actually have something worth blogging about, I am too busy to blog. I couldn't blog last weekend because I didn't have a free moment and then I spent all week this week just trying to get caught up after losing most of my Friday prep time and all of my weekend errand/housework time. And now I have the time, but the moment has passed.

I will post a couple more pictures from the wedding that arrived in my inbox. These were taken by Grandpa Richard's friend Rob, who is an amazing photographer and has captured great shots at each of our weddings. He also has some stunning shots of other family members, but this is a Nicholas blog, so Nicholas is what you get.
From 2011 October
From 2011 October
From 2011 October

Nicholas and I ran an insane number of errands this morning. Insane. Walmart, gas, grocery store, home to put away groceries, Target, hair cut for Nicholas, post office, library. All before lunch. We then stopped for pizza on our way home because Nicholas was making it very clear that I had pushed him too far. But all of those errands absolutely needed to happen this weekend and we were rushing to beat the snow. And I have now gotten all the trash out, the fridge cleaned out, way more loads of dishes done than I care to admit, and everything put away. If I had laundry going I would feel completely on top of things (domestically at least). But given the wet snow that is falling and the fact that most of the trees still have their leaves, I'm anticipating potential power outages and so am fearful of starting the washer. Particularly with a pay communal machine.

The snow is actually gorgeous. I was so annoyed with the early snowfall until it started falling. And then I was swept up in the enchantment of watching it. And Nicholas is so excited about it! And since it is a Saturday and so I don't have the anxiety about whether or not classes will be cancelled and all that goes along with that, I am free to relax. Tomorrow when I have to shovel out two cars while entertaining a 2-year-old I have the feeling I will change my mind again, but for tonight I am enjoying it.

Nicholas wanted to go out and play in the snow this evening, but it was already getting dark at that point and there was only an inch (I'm estimating that we're at about 3 inches now), so it really didn't make sense. Also, I'm lazy and didn't feel like bundling him all up. So I opened the sliding door to the patio and let him stick his arm out a couple times. Then I put a tupperware out on the balcony for 20 minutes to collect some snow and brought it inside for him to play with. That actually kept him entertained for quite awhile.
From 2011 October

Always the little scientist, he was really interested in the chance to experiment with it.
From 2011 October


His conclusion was that snow "is like sand." I'm not sure what traits this conclusion was based on, but he came up with it entirely on his own, not even in response to any questions from me, so I'll take it. My response was to ask if that meant he could build a snowcastle, and he promptly started making a snow pile.
From 2011 October

He tasted it after I encouraged him to try and while he made a face at the first couple bites, he quickly declared it "yummy."
From 2011 October


I think I am going to go grab a novel and a mug of hot chocolate and enjoy the snow. I am declaring a "snow night" and refusing to do any schoolwork tonight.

1 comment:

  1. That's why my Abby-only Blog died, it got to be so much fun that I could never get enough time or energy to keep up with all of the awesome stuff she was getting into!

    How about snow this early!? I'm jealous from Abby's perspective, but glad from mine. :) We always bring in a pile to play with in the comfort of our home...

    ReplyDelete