Sunday, October 30, 2011

It's For You

Sarah and Nicholas have been without power since sometime yesterday evening (after Sarah went to sleep), so they've had a bit of a rough day. Here in Philadelphia we had about two hours of slush at lunchtime and otherwise just rain, so my conference went off without a hitch (though with a slightly smaller audience). And it means I can write a brief update on Nicholas's Developmental Breakthrough of the Week™:

Carrying a conversation on the phone.

He's been able to respond on the phone for a while, and has progressively gotten better. But for some reason this week he's figured out how to sustain a conversation on the phone for several minutes, which is very enjoyable on my end. It started early this week when Sarah called and reported that during his bath, Nicholas had plaintively announced, "I want Daddy." (Getting shampoo suds in his eyes may have been involved at the time.) Anyway, they called me and we were actually able to talk in sentences, like we do in person! Fun!

Then I got another call on Tuesday night, and a chat just this morning, when we talked about the snow: how much there was, what they'd done with it, and so on.

It's always fun to see him figure something out, and I'm sometimes a little disappointed that I miss things here in Philadelphia. But this one is especially pleasing because it's depends on my being at a distance. Or, rather, I am the beneficiary of being at a distance, because he learned how this particular skill with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment