Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Backseat Driver

Nicholas has been watching us drive and he thinks he has it all figured out. And he is eager to give it a go. (Have I mentioned that he is in an extreme "I'm do it" stage? Out. of. control.)

His formula?

Turn the key and turn on the music.

That's it, folks. Driving 101 according to Nicholas. (Although, to be fair, even though he doesn't include it in his formula when he talks about driving, he does also know what each color on the traffic light means and informs you of what you should be doing. I've been trying the hopeless task of explaining to him about right on red because I get yelled at that "no, red means stop. When green then go!" as I turn right at red lights.)

The other day when he insisted that it was his turn to drive and explained to me how it works, I told him that he couldn't drive yet because he had to get big and tall first. He talked about that a bit, but basically accepted it.

This evening we were sitting and talking and he came back to the subject of driving.

"I drive to school. First I get big and tall. Then I drive to school. Turn key and turn on music. Then drive to school. Mommy and Daddy big and tall. I still a little boy. Now I big and tall. I drive to school."

Not quite yet, buddy. Please stay a little boy just a bit longer for me. And if you could stop having a meltdown every time I dare to help you with anything, that'd be great.

1 comment:

  1. Abby is so totally there - still! Been that way for years now.

    My nephew's first intelligible sentence was "Daddy did not stop at a red light!" :)

    ReplyDelete