Friday, May 6, 2011

Friday Notes

Nothing that deserves a full post, so you get bullet points!
  • Sometimes I wonder whether he's well-trained or just came pre-programmed this way. We decided to go outside to play ball after dinner tonight (by the way, totally his new favorite after-school activity). I said that I needed to get my sneakers on, and then we would go, so I went into the bedroom. When I came back out into the living room, he was sitting on the floor putting his Legos back in their bag singing, "Clean up, clean up, everybody do your share." Sheesh. He's making me look bad.
  • Nicholas has thus far not shown much irritation at the regular thunderstorms we get in the Chesapeake region (in the summer, it seriously is 3-4 times a week that we get at least one in the evening). Tonight we had one that didn't register very much on the radar, but it went right overhead. The first roll of thunder was so strong that I not only heard it, I felt it (the building shook a little), and I saw it on the baby monitor. Needless to say a few moments later I heard a feeble, "Daddy, open the door!" coming from the monitor. He was rattled, but I was proud of him for not completely melting down. It obviously woke him up and disturbed him, but he held it together. We read books for a little while until there was a decent interval between lightning flashes. He wasn't all that excited about being left alone, but since he listens to reason, I was able to explain that he was safe, and that he could call me if he needed me.
  • Speaking of pride, he's doing fabulously with the idea that Mommy is away for a few days. He knows where Mommy is—if you ask, he'll say "with Aunt Stacy!" And he has thoroughly enjoyed talking with her on the phone each evening. Sarah's a little upset that he's not despondent at her absence, but mostly is also glad that he can manage without being codependent for a few days. I, on the other hand ... (just kidding!)
  • He doesn't know this yet, but tomorrow morning he gets to go to the zoo ... with Alice! How much cooler does it get?

1 comment:

  1. Score on the cleaning up! Mine does not do that unless she is offered food!

    ReplyDelete