Monday, December 14, 2009

A Bullet Point Post

Over the last few days, I've had a number of two-line thoughts that seemed worthy of sharing (or that I'm narcissistic to think others would be interested in), but nothing for a full blog post.  So you get bullet points!
  • We have now lost our coffee table from the living room, and it was high time.  Nicholas has gotten far too mobile, which means he either ends up under things, or runs the risk of banging his head against a hardwood table leg if we look away for thirty seconds.  So the coffee table is now in the Great Furniture Storage in the Sky, or as it's more commonly known, my in-laws' attic.
  • Nicholas is going through a bit of a mommy phase.  He only wants Sarah.  And if he's with someone else and sees me, he'll be okay to come to me ... as long as I understand that I'm to take him to his mommy immediately.  One morning this week he woke up from his nap (Sarah was out working), and he raised his arm toward the bedroom when I got him out.  If he can't see her in the living room or kitchen, that's where he assumes she is, and I'm to take him there, like pronto.  It's a bit frustrating, especially for Sarah, but we also realize (most of the time) that it's a phase, and he'll move on to some other obsession in a few weeks or months.
  • But, one unforeseen consequence—and one that Nicholas surely doesn't welcome—is that this phase has cured Sarah of a bit of her "new mommyness."  In other words, crying no longer automatically breaks her heart.
  • Nicholas is so much like me, he even has the same scrunched-up shoulders!
  • Nicholas is so little like me, he loves to play "flying baby!"
  • That just means that I'm holding him high in the air and saying, "flying baby!"  It doesn't involve throwing of any kind, I assure you.  Because of that game (and a few others), he's starting to learn that when someone says "1 ... 2 ... 3!" something fun is usually about to happen to him.  Which reminds me also that it's interesting, and an absolute societal good that most adults seem to agree that "3" is the proper count on which to do things, like, say, pass off a baby.
That's about it for now.  Things are pretty crazy here at the moment, what with preparing for Christmas, conferences, the job market, and trying to feed and clothe ourselves.  But we're managing, and Nicholas is thriving, so we're doing okay.

    1 comment:

    1. Love the bullets - we "lost" our coffee table around the same time two years ago. It still resides in the basement.

      Hope that things calm down both calendar wise and mentally for all three of you soon.

      ReplyDelete