Thursday, July 29, 2010

Kindred Spirits . . . and Bubbles

From 2010 July
I never realized it before, but dolphins and 1-year-olds are kindred spirits. Yesterday at the dolphin show at the aquarium I caught myself saying "Look, Nicholas, the dolphins like to/can . . . . just like you" repeatedly. Here are the few I can remember right now:
  • Swim in a pool
  • Splash
  • Play with balls
  • Play Peekaboo
  • Wave
  • Make squeaking noises
It is really fun going back to places we haven't been in awhile and watching how differently Nicholas experiences them. Nicholas was much more interested this time in the what the dolphins were doing (and had a name for them that I couldn't make out but which he used consistently each time they came into view). He did not do as good of a job with sitting still, though. The steps of the stands were too enticing. But since they were made of concrete and very steep I wouldn't let him climb them. Let me tell you, he was not happy with me.

He also still loves the bubble tubes, but as he has gotten older, his way of reacting to them has changed. This time he ran around going "bub-bub-bub-bub-ble!" in his super-high-pitched excited voice. It was so hilarious that eventually I took a video. You have to listen closely to hear him over all the background noise, but click on the picture below to hear/see the excitement:
From 2010 July

Also, I love how he stops mid video to take a break to suck his thumb and then jumps right back into his excitement. It is just so characteristically Nicholas.

Also, next time we go I am taking the leash. That child is fast and able to dart in between people's legs where I can't follow. Jeez.

On a completely unrelated note, there are some funny pictures of Nicholas and Alice trying to climb a really steep slide at the playground last night at the end of this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment