Thursday, March 20, 2014

Kindergarten

Nicholas starts kindergarten in the fall and I've been really anxious because one of the towns we are considering moving to has school choice but you have to register by early April and we won't have residency and I'm afraid he won't get into the program we want.  It didn't even occur to me to look into registration in the town we live in now (which is another contender for where we'll live next year).  I assumed that since there wasn't  the choice and school assignment element that registration would be a summer thing.  And I had been told by a neighbor whose kids are at the local school that kindergarten was only half day and you had to pay even for that.  And we can't do half day and work full time so we figured we'd have to send him to a center for kindergarten anyway so I wasn't looking into the local kindergarten much.

It turns out she was horribly wrong, which I can't figure out since her daughter was in kindergarten last year.  Apparently half day is free and there is a full day option that you pay for.  But of course more people want full day than they have spots because it costs about $12,000 less for a year than a center. And so there is a lottery.  But registration was in late February and the deadline for the lottery was last Friday.  The drawing for the lottery isn't until Tuesday so my plan is to call tomorrow morning and beg them to let us register and sign up for the lottery.  I seriously doubt it will work, but I'm going to try.  And if they agree I will spend my day rushing to the dentist and doctor to beg them to complete paperwork on the spot so I can do the enrollment.  And we don't even know that we'll be in this town in the fall.  But if we wait until we move this summer we'll miss out on everything.  I thought the summer before he started kindergarten was the perfect time to move but it turns out that we needed to move at least 6 months before he started kindergarten.  And I feel like we've failed him.  He is so excited about kindergarten.  How are we messing this up?

No comments:

Post a Comment