Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fired

In the car on the way home today:
M: Did you do anything interesting at school today?
N: No.
M: Okay, let me try again.  What was your favorite thing you did at school today?
N: Nothing.  We didn't do anything at school today.
[long pause]
N: Ask me what my job was today.
D: [obligingly] Nicholas, what was your job at school today?
N: No, I want my Mommy to tell me!
M: Okay, Nicholas, what was your job at school today?
N: No, you tell me!
[confused looks exchanged in the front seat]
D: Oh, do you want us to guess what your job was?
N: [exasperated] Yes!
D: Were you the caboose?
N: No!
D: Were you the line leader?
N: No!
D: Were you the snack helper?
N: No!
D: Were you the rest time helper?
N: Yes!  I was the rest time helper!
D: And did you help your friends [put their sheets and blankets on their cots]?
N: No.
D: No?  You didn't help your friends?
N: No.  I refused.
M: You refused?
N: I went back to my cot and Ms. Naomi fired me.  When you refuse to do your job you get fired.

No comments:

Post a Comment