Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I is for Zizz-bell

Nicholas' new school is nowhere near as academic as his old one. And in some senses that may be a good thing. I mean, really, is "remedial colors" necessary for 18-month-olds?

But it does sometimes worry me how far to the other end of the spectrum this school goes. So I was heartened when tonight Nicholas was playing with a toy that has keys with different combinations of straight lines and looked at one and proclaimed, "L is for Lucy." And, sure enough, that shape did look like an L. This was followed by "T is for Trevor" for the T-shaped key.

So I pulled out his alphabet puzzle. And sometime in the 5 or 6 weeks since he last played with that puzzle, he learned to identify a handful of letters: those that begin the names of each of his classmates.

My favorite, however, is "I is for Zizz-bell." He obviously isn't making any connection to the sound the letter makes, just identifying the name of the letter and memorizing what it is for. Because I is for Isabel, but it certainly is not for Zizz-bell, which is how he pronounces her name.

2 comments:

  1. Such an academic, to spell out why it's funny. That's cute. :)

    Abby was able to pronounce "yellow" with no trouble right around her second birthday, which was during the summer. Within two weeks of going back to school that fall she was doing the classic "LEllow" and that drove me crazy! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, letters! The excitement!

    Rob: Nicholas also says "LEllow," and it also drives me nuts. He'll adjust at some point.

    ReplyDelete