Sunday, November 20, 2011

Grandma and Uncle Peter

We had a great visit with my mom and brother. It was actually the first time Peter and Nicholas had met, since Peter has been living in China and hasn't been back in the States since a month before Nicholas was born.

My only regret of the visit is that we didn't get a great picture of Peter and Nicholas. Well, at least not in the traditional sense. Peter did capture this on his ipad:
From peter pics


Which is incredibly awesome. We had a really good picture set up at the zoo, but I just couldn't figure out which button to hit on Peter's phone before Nicholas got bored. And so, me being me, I am kicking myself for that missed one because I can see it in my head.

But, yes, I know, pictures are not the most important thing. Nicholas now has another uncle he adores, which is a much bigger deal.

I had to work Friday morning, so the three of them went to the Children's museum, where by all accounts, they had a blast. Nicholas certainly enjoyed trying to make the big bubbles:
From peter pics

And Saturday morning we drove down to Rhode Island to go to the zoo. It was a little on the cold side, but definitely tolerable, and probably the last chance for the zoo until spring.
From peter pics
Nicholas was SO excited! After we had finished going around the whole zoo, he was still exclaiming, "Let's go find some more animals!"

We also spent lots of time just hanging out at home, playing Candyland, building towers, reading books, making enchiladas, and just in general having a good time.
From peter pics
From peter pics
From peter pics

The only problem with having visitors is that they have to leave. I was crying a little after we dropped Peter off at the bus station and Nicholas asked me what was wrong. I said I was just sad because we had to say goodbye to Uncle Peter and it would be a long time before we saw him again. And, sweet Nicholas responded, "Don't be sad, Mommy. I make you happy."

And he does and I don't want him to think he isn't enough, but I do miss having grownups around. I am generally happy with my life and go about day to day fine. But after a couple days of a good visit, I find myself looking around and feeling very lonely and isolated here. In other words, I am happy with my current life as long as I don't have reminders of what I'm missing. And I miss my friends and family.
From peter pics

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you. That has to be incredibly hard. It's temporary, which is easy to say when I'm not the guy living it. :(

    Glad you had a good visit!

    ReplyDelete