Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Weekend Fun

I begin at the end. By the time we arrived at the airport for my flight back to Philadelphia, it had become clear that Nicholas was more upset that he wasn't getting on an airplane than that I was. Quite the level-headed boy is he, which may make this whole process this fall a little easier.

We're never sure how much he understands, but on the surface he's at least telling us that he gets it. He spent most of the week, apparently, excited that I'd be home on the day he didn't have school. When I parked the car Saturday morning, Sarah and Nicholas happened to be at the door to the building. Once I got their attention, Nicholas came bounding over. It's nice to be welcomed home so joyfully.

And we had a fun weekend, even if it was largely swallowed up by errands. Today Nicholas and I had the day to ourselves, as Sarah is down to the final hours of preparation for her first day of teaching tomorrow. We got to go to where Mommy works (you can ask him, he knows!) to help move some furniture and hang some pictures to complete the office decor.

When we left, Nicholas asked to go to a playground. So I offered him a choice: go home to get sunscreen and go outside, or go to the local mall and use the inside playground (which is actually awesome). I will disclaim here that though I may have had a vested interest in one of the answers, I did give him an honest choice. He picked inside.

So we stopped for some Dunkin' Donuts munchkins (so I spoil him ... mommy basically told me to get them for a snack!), and off to the mall we went. That kid plays hard, running from piece to piece to use slides, to walk up the stairs and ramp of a "treehouse," to climb a little rock wall (about four feet high). But he even liked walking around a little bit, which was his only real down time.

Anyway, now I'm sitting at the airport, which is why I'm writing such a longwinded post. I'm glad for your sake I put the only interesting part at the head of the post. If you've read this far, I'm sorry, but you can't have the last five minutes back. With that, I'm off to Philadelphia for another week at the grindstone.

Happy new school year everyone!

1 comment:

  1. He probably gets it in his brain, just not when it comes down to game time, you know? Every time that I think Abby has completely transitioned here she brings up her old friends back in Maryland. Kids know more than we think, and sometimes more than we want them to!

    ReplyDelete