Thursday, December 2, 2010

I can do it myself!

He doesn't actually say that yet, but boy can he convey its meaning. Continuing our adventures this week in asserting independence, Nicholas now insists on brushing his own teeth.

Sarah was helping him this morning and mentioned that he'd taken the toothbrush, and this evening as we were getting ready for bed, I put the toothpaste on the brush and he reached out to take it. Okay, I figured, this will last a few seconds and then I can take over. But no, he did the whole thing himself.

Now he doesn't quite have it all down, but he's actually pretty good.  He's been paying attention.  He carefully moved the brush around his mouth, carefully ensuring that he got everywhere.  He chewed on the bristles rather than really "brushing" per se, but I let that go because it got the bristles to go over his teeth nearly as well as when I hold the brush.  And during all of this he managed not to gag himself, stab the roof of his mouth, or otherwise injure himself in any way.

Not a baby anymore, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment