Tuesday, October 21, 2014

He's Back!

I am knocking on wood as I type this, but old Nicholas is back.  Our responsible, rational, reliable, boy has been around more and more the last month, and the last few weeks he has been SO good!  He's not perfect and still gets in trouble, but even when he hasn't been good recently he hasn't been out of control the way he was for most of 4 and the first part of 5.  It is like he clicked back in.  I have been thinking this for the last couple weeks but was afraid to write it for fear of jinxing it. And it is always possible that it isn't permanent, but oh I have been loving it.

We had hoped that starting kindergarten would help and it seemed to a little from pretty early on, but the changes to his behavior were gradual and not linear and so it is only in the last couple weeks that I've been really able to see it.  Given that this has accompanied another major jump in his reading, as well as a sudden interest in writing, my random theory is that he has been going through a major cognitive growth spurt and is now leveling out.  Okay, so that is completely random, but the things I find myself saying about having my old kid back sounds just like what I used to say when he would come out of growth spurts as a baby.

I have one last batch of applesauce for the fall that is almost ready to strain and finish and wanted to be in bed an hour ago, so I'm going to leave it at that for now.  More later . . . maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment