Friday, March 29, 2013

Preschooler's First Musical

Nicholas was envious that Joe and I went with my parents to see a show while we were in New York so I promised him that we'd look for one he could go to.  Our plan was to find a local high school musical so that he could get a taste of it but in an affordable and low stakes way.

Good idea, but it turns out that around here most of the high schools do their musicals the first two weekends of March, so when I did research last Sunday morning I discovered that we had already missed them.  But the high school in our town was doing their musical that very weekend, with one more show left: a Sunday matinee 5 hours later!

So Nicholas and I went.  It was not the musical I would have chosen for him (Thoroughly Modern Millie, about a young woman in the 20s in NYC who helps break up a prostitution ring while all the characters end up paired off), but he did a good job.  There were parts he really liked, mostly the music and dancing.  He clearly didn't follow the plot, but seemed okay with that.  He did start to get bored, asking me at many points to show him on the program where we were so he could see how much was left.  But he never got loud or asked to leave or even begged for snacks, although when I told him at the beginning of the finale that it was the last song, he said to me in the sweetest voice: "Oh, thank you, Mommy.  Thank you for saying this is the last song."

Overall I consider it a success.  2 1/2 hours is a long time for a 3-year-old to sit still and quiet, especially when he couldn't follow the plot.  But by next spring he should be in much better shape and hopefully we'll be on the ball enough to choose the most kid-friendly shsows from among the half dozen nearby high schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment