Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Reno Day 1

I don't really know if it counts as a reno since we aren't knocking down any walls (much to Nicholas' disappointment) and doing only the most minor repairs in the kitchen and bathrooms, but it certainly feels like an undertaking.  And I have been itching to get to work since we put the offer in two months ago.

We went over to the house first thing this morning, in theory just to let the asbestos removal guys in, but they were late so we tackled a few easy projects while we were there.  Joe switched out the storm window on the front door for a screen, Nicholas and I removed the accordion door from the kitchen doorway (pinching hazard), and we tried (unsuccessfully) to move the sofa bed we bought from the previous owners to the basement.

The asbestos guys then arrived and we high-tailed it out of there.
From 2014 June

Really only the bedrooms, upstairs bathrooms, and attic are off limits (see, that makeshift half bath in the basement that wasn't in the listing has already come in handy!), so after school I decided to let Nicholas do a few minutes of helping pull up carpet.  I hadn't planned to work at the house today and the plan for the carpet was for Joe and I to work on it Friday afternoon while Nicholas was in school, but this morning he was asking about it and clearly wanted to help.  So my plan was that we would do 15 or so minutes, just get a little corner up, so he could feel like he helped with it and was part of it.  And an hour later:
From 2014 June

It both came up more easily than I had feared and Nicholas was able to do more than I had assumed.  And especially once I realized that we only needed to cut occasionally and could actually just do a lot of ripping, there wasn't much he couldn't do.
From 2014 June
He was actually the perfect amount of help.  It only required one adult's worth of strength and knowledge, but really did require two sets of hands.  And he so loved working on it.  When he has something to work on that he is engaged in and feels is worthwhile he is so mature and responsible and reliable.  The difference in his demeanor is really astounding.

And so far so good on the floors.  We are about halfway done with the living room and we have only uncovered one small scuff mark and no stains or discoloration.  Cross your fingers that it continues this well.  I have had all sorts of practical concerns about hardwood (I like the warm, soft, comfy of hardwood, especially in winter), but I can't deny that these are absolutely gorgeous!  I'll have to take a picture with a real camera sometime in the next couple days because my phone does not cut it.

No comments:

Post a Comment